Mercy Center for Women's
2014 Women Making History
Deadline: Completed forms are due Saturday, October 5, 2013 for 2014 award.
Mercy Center for Women will be selecting 12 women from Erie and surrounding areas to serve as the 2014 "Women Making History." Mercy Center for Women is transitional housing facility for homeless women with or without children.
The center provides support and services to assist these women in becoming self-sufficient, productive members of our community.
Criteria for Selection:
A nominee must be a woman who has demonstrated the following:
- Dedicated service in her neightborhood, workplace or community.
- Demonstrated volunteer work
- Demonstrated leadership
- Honesty, integrity and strong moral values:
- Demonstrated that she “walks the walk”
- Encouraged others to follow moral/ethical values
- A commitment to women’s issues (weighted double when scored):
- Inspired other women to follow their dreams
- Strong voice for women’s advocacy
- A commitment to personal growth and development:
- Demonstrates the courage of her convictions.
- Demonstrated family and/or personal accomplishments
- May have overcome obstacles
- Nominees must meet the selection criteria (listed above)
- Nomination form must be completed, signed, and returned by Saturday, October 5, 2013, to be considered for the 2014 award.
- The selection process will be as follows: A committee comprised of the Development Committee of Mercy Center for Women and the chair of the WMH Committee will select the twelve nominees and three alternates. The Center’s Board of Trustees will make final approval.
- The women who are selected will be notified in early December. For those not selected, their nominators will be contacted.
If chosen, the nominee will be required to have her portrait taken (at no cost to her) by photographer EJ Morris. She will be asked to share some of her personal history for a “bio sketch” that will accompany her portrait to be on display at the Millcreek Mall during Women’s History Month (March), as well as a written scenario of who or what inspired her to be who she is today. If selected, she will be asked to attend an Orientation Tea at Mercy Center for Women (date to be announced) and attend the pre-event reception prior to the award ceremony. Each honoree will have 30 seconds to accept her award at the Mercy Center for Women’s Annual Women Making History Award Ceremony, held on Tuesday, March 26, 2014
Call Shirley Schell, Director of Development, 814-455-4577
Click here to move on to fill out the online nomination form
Want to mail in your nomination form instead?
Click here to download the form for mailing purposes